Friday, December 26, 2008

What relaxer to Use.


I am approaching the 9 week mark for my stretch and it is not for the lighthearted, there have been many times when I have been tempted to relax it, cut it off, or just continue and transition. I like my natural hair, but I know styling would be a prob, I just dont want to start alllll over again.

So back to the topic, relaxers; So it occured to me that I may not be using the best relaxer for my hair. I have been using either affirm and mizani for the past 2 years and have not seen where it has been doing anything positive for my hair. I am not really sure if it is the relaxer to blame or my hair care techniques. I have just started on my hair care journey and I am well aware that it could be a little of both. I have been researching relaxers for some time now and I have pretty much narrowed it down to, availablity and quality. I do not want my hair texturized or texlaxed as the variation in textures I believe cause more harm than good, though I am dying for thicker hair I am not willing to risk causing breakage for it. However some relaxers do tend to leave the hair limp and thin. Can I really relax and have some body (swang) at the same time? I have narrowed the choices down to, silk elements, ORS no lye, Affirm fiberguard, Alter Ego, Mizani BB or just continue with what I am using "Affirm for sensitive scalp". I am just not sure. well I have 3 more weeks to decide and I will be sure to update this blog when I do.

4 comments:

LaQT/ Ty said...

Yeah, figuring out which relaxer to use is a tough decision. I had texlaxed hair before I went to the salon my last relaxer and I didn't have breakage issues my hair was thriving when I self-relaxed. My hair was thicker and fuller.Plus, I noticed that some of the ladies on the various hair boards I frequent that have the longest, fullest hair are texlaxed. Willing to show examples if you'd like.Bone straight was a bad idea for me. I went to the salon for something different to pamper myself. The stylist used Mizani Regular. The stylist did a great job and only dusted my ends, but my hair has been super thin ever since and nothing is helping. I thought that as the weeks went by it would thicken up, but it still hasn't. I have been wanting to take my ponytail comparison pic, but its longer and thinner. I hate that. I plan to going back to ORS lye or no-lye.

LaQT/ Ty said...

I am now 13 weeks post and hair is still as thin as the day I relaxed.

Nesha said...

Thanks alot for your input, if you relax before I do with the ORS lye let me know how it works for you.

LaQT/ Ty said...

I'll definitely do that. I'm interested in the Silk Elements Shea Butter relaxer and Mizani BB, but I'm a little concerned about Mizani as it always seems to strong for me.